Thursday, May 3, 2018

recent read; HIGH ADVENTURE #86


HIGH ADVENTURE #86

Keeping with my resolution for more 'zines in my reading mix...

I swung back into the jungle pulp, following up last year's Ki-Gor read with two more of the better Ki-Gor tales, "The Devil's Death Trap" and "Blood Priestess of Vig N'Ga." Luckily, both stories are included in this single volume.

"The Devil's Death Trap" finds Ki-Gor and his stalwart companions trapped in a lost city of intelligent gorillas (shades of DC Comics' Gorilla City!) "Blood Priestess of Vig N'Ga" also features a hidden city--this one more of a classic Middle Eastern flare. While the former story had echoes of Edgar Rice Burroughs, the later tale had echoes of Robert E. Howard.

Both delivered on pulp fun and adventure.

Unfortunately, this issue (or my copy, anyway) has a glaring misprint in "Blood Priestess of Vig N'Ga" that repeats a page and left out a piece of the story. Fortunately, there is an archive available here. I need to check this out and fill in the gap.

4 comments:

  1. I need to read some of the Ki-Gor tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some can be dreck but the three I've read were far better than I imagined they would be. In addition to these three, I know Howard Andrew Jones posted a list of what he considers to be the better stories. I'll be checking out more, certainly.

      Delete
  2. James Reasoner has also been reading through them and posting about them.

    ReplyDelete