Monday, September 3, 2012

Autumn 2012 is nearly here

Just a placeholder post, really.  I haven't posted much because I've been busy with stuff that doesn't relate to my typical content.  Autumn is still a few weeks away, but tonight is the end of Labor Day weekend, and the end of my having ten days off from the day job.

We had a nice time at the beach, though it appears while my daughter is a beach girl, my son could care less for the sand and oppressive sunlight.  Five minutes of splashing in the waves and he was done for the day.

One morning I took him for a stroll to a used book place and scored two John Jakes sword-&sorcery, non-Brak titles; Master of the Dark Gate and Witch of the Dark Gate.  Maybe they're sword-&-planet,  I'm not really sure.  Later that same day, I drove out to a further used book store and stumbled on a hard cover of Manly Wade Wellman's The Old Gods Waken.

I also made the mistake over the past month of getting sucked into three books at once, not counting comics and graphic novels.  Given my current reading time per day,  I haven't finished any of them.  I did complete one graphic novel at the beach, so I hope to review that soon.

Work is going to be very busy and I'm behind on numerous personal goals at home, so I might have a quiet Fall around the "social media" circles.  We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. I always hate coming back to work from a break and seeing the stuff piled up. i'll be dealing with that tomorrow myself. I've got those Jakes books. Read Witch of the Dark GAte years ago. Don't remember a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, I didn't know Jakes had even done anything S&S/S&P that wasn't Brak related. I'll keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave; they were mentioned on the discussion thread for Jakes over at conan.com

    There is a third one, FYI, called The Last Magicians.

    ReplyDelete