Thursday, October 31, 2013

recent read; Blind Shadows


Blind Shadows by James A. Moore & Charles R. Rutledge

When a childhood friend of Sheriff Carl Price is murdered in the small town of Wellman, Georgia, Price and another friend, private investigator Wade Griffin, find themselves pulled into a dangerous and strange investigation.  Moving from meth lab suspects to all-out horrors from outer dimensions, Price & Griffin face enemies who grow by number, size and lethality as the story builds.  The duo also make interesting allies along the way.

Every character had a backstory, and that made for solid storytelling, character interaction and growth.  The beats were steady, the stakes and suspense amped at the correct frequency.  I liked the blending of little people of the earth with larger Lovecraftian gods.

The authors seem to gel well - I didn't really feel thrown out of the story by style change at any time.

This was a very enjoyable read, especially for the month of October. Good horror and a wild ride at the end.

I liked the various references to other horror & pulp characters and writers sprinkled throughout the tale.  I bet there were more I didn't catch.

Looking forward to the sequel, Congregations of the Dead, already.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Paul. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Style wise we did a little work to keep things as smooth as possible. Griffin was me and Carl Price was Jim but I rewrote Griffin in Jim's scenes where needed and he did the same for Carl in my scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been intending to get this one but haven't had a chance to pick it up. I'll do so soon.

    ReplyDelete