Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween leftovers

I managed to squeeze in quite a bit of media consumption over the weekend.

I watched Boris Karloff ham it up in The Mask of Fu Manchu, and rewatched it with commentary.  I listened to the commentary on The Mark of the Vampire - the movie itself I had watched last week.

I (re)watched Things That Go Bump in the Night,  a documentary on haunted New England tales & folklore.  (It was produced by the PBS station from western Massachusetts.)  I learned a few new stories, but mostly I'd read about everything they covered.  I do have a large collection of local press New England occult folklore books, so that's not surprising.

Things That Go Bump in the Night
You can watch the entire thing online if you have an hour and are interested.

I finished reading the story, "Children of the Kingdom", by T. E. D. Klein (in his Dark Gods collection.)  Another tale of the lost subterranean race(s), but this time they are moving through the underbelly of NYC.

I also read the Dynamite trade paperback collection of Army of Darkness: Ash vs. the (Classic) Monsters.  I hadn't tried any of the AoD comics and I was disappointed.  They overplayed "Ash is a horndog" and "Ash gets people's names wrong" until it was tedious.  And the Monsters - aside from a thinking Frankenstein monster - didn't feel special or Universal whatsoever.

Finally, I started reading the second Titus Crow novel, The Transition of Titus Crow.  I wasn't expecting to return to Crow so soon, but seeing as how the novel is the second-half of the omnibus, I decided to finish it off.  So far, it's another occult adventure as opposed to atmospheric Mythos horror, but it's a fun romp.
The Transition of Titus Crow

4 comments:

  1. TED Klein was such a great writer, sorry he was lost to writer's block years ago. I remember the '77 Blackout vividly and it's always given "Children of the Kingdom" and extra edge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What little I've read of Klein I've really liked. Haven't read "Children of the Kingdom" yet, though.

    When I was in 5th or 6th grade I read a book from the school library with the title of Thing That Go Bump in the Night (or something very close to it) which was a collection of folklore and ghost stories that were supposed to be based on true events handed down through family legend. I wonder if there's a connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I have this old one, it is specific to a line of New England books (as you can see in the Amazon description.) I don't believe there was a national regional-specific series, but the name isn't all that uncommon, and was apparently used for at least one series of spooky kids books.

      New England's Things That Go Bump in the Night.

      Delete