Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More loot

I received a pile of loot that I had ordered from Amazon.
Scouring Amazon for various Mammoth titles, I came across The Mammoth Book of Sword and Honor. It occurred to me that aside from Ambrose Bierce's (American) Civil War Stories, I don't think I've really read historical/historical-military fiction in the short form. I was intrigued. I was extra intrigued because The Mammoth Book of Sword and Honor was in the Amazon Bargain Books, and they claimed to only have a few copies left.
So, we came blame most of this on that. ;) I didn't want to pay double the price just to ship it, so I piled on the other stuff to get free shipping.
At first, I wasn't sure about The Mammoth Book of Dracula. I have other vampire anthologies and Mammoth books and wasn't sure about an entire Mammoth book of stories directly related to Dracula. But, the authors in the table-of-contents finally swayed me to put the book on my wishlist. Amazon were down to their last copy, so I added it to my order.
Psycho Mania is a new book and according to the copyright page, not a reissue. But, for all intents & purposes, it is a Mammoth book.  It is edited by Stephen Jones and the layout is the same as a Mammoth tome.  If it had been published ten years ago or earlier, it would have been titled, The Mammoth Book of Psychos.

As a matter of personal taste, I am not one for slasher/demented-murderer horror. There is too much of that in the real world. I prefer my horror to have some supernatural element. But, the cover claims some of these tales do have a supernatural element. It contains the Bloch classic, "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper" which I have never read and I have wanted to read for a long time. That is the main reason I bought the book.
Charles Rutledge was kind enough to send me some wilder, early 1960s Sexton Blake stories. (which I sheepishly admit I still need to read.) I thought I should educate myself on some classic Sexton Blake tales. I was surprised how thick this book is! Most of the other Wordsworth Tales of Mystery and the Supernatural are half this thick.

Finally, I wanted to complete my mini Tarzan movie collection with Tarzan the Magnificent. It features Gordon Scott's last outing as the Lord of the Jungle, and his second outing as an articulate, modern Tarzan. Looking forward to watching it soon.

6 comments:

  1. Sword of Honor sounds interesting. It'd make a nice addition to the Westerns and other historical stuff I'm reading these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the editor's intro and Cornwell's foreword last night. Both were good. I also chose to read John Jakes "Mercy at Gettysburg" because it was very short. Very tight little tale.

      Delete
  2. Just bought the last copy of Sword and Honor. Threw in the Mammoth Book of Men of War as well.

    I've really got to stop paying attention to these posts. As Fletcher said on his blog earlier (I'm paraphrasing), they're costing me money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What goes around comes around. ;) You've inflated my wishlists a bit, too.

      Oh, wait .. The Mammoth Book of Men O' War is another bargain book and there are only 3 copies left?

      Here I go again...

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I know. I couldn't help posting that, though. :)

      Delete
  3. looks like a good set of reading materials. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete