Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Going Mammoth

Yeahhhh...

Writing that Karl Edward Wagner post probably wasn't the best idea for me. I'm hankering to acquire more Mammoth books, now.  Heck, not hankering - have been.

I also wanted to try some noir/pulp in the short form, and The Mammoth Book of Pulp Fiction caught my eye. It's my first used purchase from Amazon (I usually go with eBay or ABEBooks) but I was able to use Amazon credit and get it free.


That started the ball rolling, all right.

The Zombies! book is really The Mammoth Book of Zombies reissued.

I also grabbed a digital version of The Mammoth Book of Vampires (with the class action lawsuit credit that Amazon issued a few weeks ago.)

But, I've also been reevaluating which books I want digital (because, it's really a lease, not a purchase) and which ones I want physically. After a long time, I'm swinging back toward the print side of the needle for more titles - not all certainly, but more than before.

So, eventually I might end up with a print copy of The Mammoth Book of Vampires.

Like Zombies!, some of the Mammoth books have under gone name changes. In addition to the above, I already owned The Mammoth Book of Monsters, The Mammoth Book of Wolfmen(/The Mammoth Book of Werewolves,) The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampires Stories by Women, and - branching out from horror - The Mammoth Book of Sorcerers Tales(/The Mammoth Book of Dark Magic.)

And yeah - I have more on order as we speak. I'll share when I get my hands on them!

I'm really in the mood for short stories lately - both as a reader, and as a writer with a few ideas bubbling for upcoming anthologies.  I'm getting motivated, being entertained and analyzing what makes a story work.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good Paul, I'll have to hunt for that Mammoth Book of Sorcerer's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the Mammoth book of Pulp Fiction somewhere. Maybe under this stack? Yeah, here it...uh-oh. [sound of many books falling]

    [dust settles]

    [crickets]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying not to get to that point, but...- yup.

      We need inter-dimensional engineering so we can just put our books in a room that's "bigger on the inside."

      Delete
  3. so far I've never had a story in any of these mammoth collections. Almost at one point. I kind of wish I could say I had

    ReplyDelete