Thursday, February 18, 2016

recent read: Locke & Key (Vol1: Welcome To Lovecraft)

Joe Hill will be a guest at NECON this July, and it is time to start reading some NECON writers.


I have NOS4A2 on my Kindle, but it's a doorstop, even as an ebook. I do plan on reading that one. But, I grabbed the entire Locke & Key run on digital sale awhile ago. Thought I'd start on that.

This is a nifty horror comic. After a high school guidance counselor is murdered by juvenile delinquents, his wife & children move from CA to Lovecraft, MA. The ancestral house they return to is magical. Or, at least, it is magical if you are a kid. There are keys and doors. This arc focuses on a door that makes you a ghost. There is also a malevolent spirit trapped in a well. And with demonic aid, one of the murdering punks escapes prison and heads toward Lovecraft.

Suspenseful stuff. Disturbing sometimes because of real cases where teenagers have done such horrid things.

But, what I also liked about this story were the reveals. It is very much setup as an onion. Backstory is revealed as the story moves, giving aspects to the story that weren't obvious at first.

I will be continuing on with the next arc. I hope to read the entire thing by summer. It shouldn't be too hard, it is a fairly quick read. Though, I am sure you might miss stuff if you read too fast. I know Hill said something at the end of the run about having it all setup at the beginning, the reader just needs to pay attention.

2 comments:

  1. I've been hearing good things about this comic. Glad to hear it from someone I trust. I'll have to check it out. I read NOS4R2 and found it pretty good. Good have been a touch tighter but it was creepy as hell.

    ReplyDelete