Wednesday, November 11, 2015

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month

I've posted before about my maternal grandfather and his service during World War I. As usual for me, on this day to honor all veterans I find myself gravitating toward the root in Armistice Day of World War I.

Another World War I veteran in the family tree was Joe St. George. I don't know much about him, though there are a few family anecdotes. He was nicknamed "the Count," for one, because he led a wild life.

Recently when cleaning out the house after my father's death, we found a picture of Joe & his wife, along with the certificate for his French Verdun medal.

Joe & Nellie St. George, year unknown (probably 1940s)

And last week, I finally found and visited their grave.
Amazing stuff to discover after all this time.

3 comments:

  1. Cool stuff to discover. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting history. Don't have as much of it in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can show your kids actual certificates of the great grandfather's courage. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete